By: Holly McClure, MPT May 2020
Now more than ever, regular exercise is key for overall well being of not only the body but the mind as well. We are all processing COVID-19 in different ways though it can mean extra stress and experiencing a disruption to our usual routine. Challenging times such as these have been known to not only add stress but also alter our mood and behavior. Some of us are trying to juggle working from home while homeschooling our kids. Some of us may be out of work and worried about finances.
SELF CARE MATTERS!
No matter your situation, it is no secret that self care during stressful events such as this pandemic is of utmost importance, but at the same time may feel impossible. We all know that exercise has numerous benefits that combats stress. Yet most of us can’t find the time, especially not now. In fact, just thinking about it may simply add to our feeling of overwhelm. Revolution is here for you! We have got some useful tips below on how to incorporate exercise into your daily routine so it won’t take any extra time out of your day! Start with just one or two so that it’s easily manageable. Pick ones that you can easily achieve and pretty soon it will translate into reduced stress, improved energy, and a clearer mind!
1. Perform wall sits while brushing your teeth
2. Balance on one leg while washing your hands (be sure to do both legs)
3. Standing heel raises while brushing your hair
4. Stretch your pecs in the corner of your shower (take slow deep breaths and focus on relaxing and opening your chest wall)
5. Do counter push ups while waiting for your coffee or tea
6. Side step down your hallway when transitioning from room to room
7. Perform 5-10 sit to stands occasionally throughout the day when you get up from a sitting position (especially useful if you’re in front of a computer most of the day)
8. If you have stairs in your home, do a high knee lift with each step up making sure to squeeze your glutes on the standing leg
REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN!!
These are suggestions so feel free to get creative and come up with your own. We would love to hear your ideas and success stories!